top of page

Pleas fill form out below so that our Homeowner's Specialist can assist you!


Email Address

Phone Number*

Type of Policy*

Property Address*




Dwelling Use*



The coverage you have depends upon the type of policy you have. Unlike auto insurance, where the policies are pretty much the same, homeowners policies can be quite different, depending on the "form" number. The most common types of homeowner policies are:

  • HO2 Broad Form
  • HO3 Special Form
  • HO4 Renters Policy
  • HO5 Comprehensive Form
  • HO6 Condo Policy
  • HO8 Older Home Policy

All homeowner policies are "package" policies. You get a group of coverages packaged into your policy for one overall premium. They include coverage on your building, your contents (furniture, clothing, etc.) and liability insurance in case you are sued, under the same policy. The property coverage is shown under Section 1, while the liability coverage is described under Section 2.

There is no better way to understand your homeowner policy than to read it! We suggest you pull out your policy and find the parts to your policy that correspond to the following explanations:

A typical policy consists of three things:

  • The Declarations Page - that declares who, what and how much you are insuring, along with
    the date your coverage starts and the premium. 

2. The Policy Booklet - printed pages that contain the details of coverages and exclusions.

3. Endorsements - separate pages, usually with endorsement numbers, that change (or endorse)

specific parts of the policy.   

Sometimes you are only given the original policy once in the beginning, then on renewal, to cut down expenses, you are just sent the dec. page (declaration page) with the bill. It's a good idea to save the original policies should you ever need to refer to them.

More Detailed Information:

HO2: policy covers the basic perils of fire, lightning, explosion, smoke, hail, aircraft, riot, glass breakage, theft and damage caused by vehicles. It also adds additional coverage to broaden your policy. Those perils include damage caused by rupture of your water or heating pipes, falling objects (such as trees), collapse of the building, limit electrical damage to appliances and others.

HO3: policy is, by far, the most commonly sold policy. It covers everything the HO2 policy covers and more. Instead of listing the perils that are covered these policies cover all damage to the building except what is excluded or limited, which is considered "All risk". . The usual exclusions are: wear and tear, termites, rotting, collapse of septic tank, flood, war, earthquake and a few others. Personal property is considered "named peril", which means a list of perils is listed as to what covers you.

HO5: policy is the same as the HO3, except the policy is an "all risk" policy for structure and personal property. All items are covered unless it is listed under exclusions or limited.

Most policies cover your contents or belongings only for the perils named in an HO2 policy so wear and tear and normal breakage is not covered for your furniture and personal belongings.

Be careful! Your homeowner policy limits coverage on some items.

To keep the cost of insurance down your policy probably has limits on certain items. Typical limits are:

  • Cash - $200
  • Jewelry - $1,000
  • Firearms - $2,500
  • Silverware - $2,500

Check your policy carefully. If you see you don't have enough coverage, find out how much it would cost to increase those limits or to buy special coverage.

Optional Coverage

In addition to special coverage for jewelry, silverware and furs, you can purchase specific coverage for such possessions as stamp or coin collections, fine arts, camera equipment, collectibles, watercraft and musical instruments, just to name a few.

bottom of page